Town Clerk

There are many ways that the Town of West Rutland works to serve the community. If you need information on or assistance with a particular town function or service, this sections of the website should be helpful to you. 

The Town Clerk is responsible for the recording and maintenance of all documents pertaining to land records, births, deaths, marriage and civil union records, issuing licenses for marriage, civil union, dogs, liquor and tobacco, voter registration, notary services and motor vehicle registration renewal.


Christine Wener, Town Clerk

Location:  35 Marble Street                                                                                  
Phone Number:  (802) 438-2204
Hours:  9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday; Friday by appointment.  The Clerk’s office will be closed the Monday before all Election Days.     

  • Services:
    – Licenses:  Marriage, Civil Union, Dog, Liquor
    – Motor Vehicle Registration Renewals
    – Purchase certified copies of birth, death, marriage, civil union & land records
    – Register to vote and vote by absentee
    – Notary Services
    – Recording of all land records for the Town of West Rutland

Debora Jasmin, Assistant Town Clerk

Location:  35 Marble Street                                                                                  
Phone Number:  (802) 438-2204


Land Record Searches

Marriage or Civil Union License:
To apply for a Marriage or Civil Union License, you will need to complete the “Application for Vermont License of Civil Marriage” form (click link below), and return it to the West Rutland Town Clerk’s office.  Once received, the license will be processed and both parties will need to come to the Town Clerk’s office to sign the document.  The fee for the license is $60.00 (payable by cash or check made out to “Town of West Rutland”).  If you wish to have a certified copy of the Certificate sent to you, please enclose an additional $10.   The license is valid for 60 days. For a list of West Rutland Justices of the Peace, see below.  If you need further information, please email or call the Town Clerk’s office.

Application for Vermont License of Civil Marriage

Town of West Rutland Justices of the Peace:

Marci Barrows – 802-438-6174
Tom Burditt – 438-0031
John Harvey – 438-2086
Paul Kulig – 438-5075
Robert Harvey – 438-0048
Debora Jasmin – 438-5762
Patricia Kulig – 438-5075
Elizabeth Moser – 438-2464
David O’Rourke – 438-5123

Barbara Trepanier – 438-5018

Vehicle Registration Renewals:
For your convenience you can now renew your Vehicle Registration at the Town Clerk’s Office and renew it on the spot. Please bring a check or money order payable to “DMV of VT”. There is also a handling fee of $3.00 to the town. You can pay the handling fee in cash or check.

Dog Licenses

All dogs owned in the Town of West Rutland must be registered with the Town Clerk before April 1st of each year. Please bring an original copy of the current rabies certificate and cash, check or money order payable to “Town of West Rutland.”

Dog License Fees are as follows:
Before April 1:
Neutered/Spayed – $18.00
Un-neutered/Spayed – $22.00
After April 1:
Neutered/Spayed – $20.00
Un-neutered/Spayed – $26.00

Rabies Clinic
Each Spring, the Town of West Rutland holds a Rabies clinic, held at the West Rutland Recreation building on Fairview Avenue.   Dates of the clinic will be posted on our website and Facebook page.    

Copies of Birth and Death Certificates

As of July 1, 2019, to obtain a certified copy of a birth or death certificate, the “Application for Certified Copy of Vermont Birth or Death Certificate” (click link below) needs to be completed and returned to the Town Clerk’s office.  Please enclose a check or money order, payable to “Town of West Rutland” for $10.00.  The form can be dropped off at the Town Clerk’s office or mailed to “Town of West Rutland, attn: Town Clerk”, 35 Marble Street, West Rutland, VT 05777.  

Application for Certified Copy of Vt. Birth/Death Certificate

Copies of Marriage/Civil Union Certificates
To obtain a certified copy of a Marriage or Civil Union license that was obtained at the West Rutland Town Clerk’s office, call, mail, or e-mail the request to the Town Clerk.  The fee is $10.00 for each certified copy.  

Contact the West Rutland Town Office

Comments? Questions? Interested in moving to the area?